This activity unravels the mystery of the Mockingbird and how the Thenca of Chile helped Darwin on his voyage of discovery ‘On the Origin of Species’.
- Science: Use appropriate scientific language to identify and discuss how scientific ideas have changed and developed over time.
- Identify how animals and plants are adapted to suit their environment and that adaptation may lead to evolution.
- To understand how changes in the environment may lead to extinction for individuals or an entire species that is less well adapted to compete and reproduce successfully.
- To us observational skills to ID different species of Mockingbirds.
- To explain how the Mockingbird was the catalyst in Darwin’s thinking about evolution.
- To explain how a change in environment may lead to extinction.